I know it can get people worked up to mess with a classic so I went ahead and did so anyway. My wife loves these balanced flavors and that sweet smoke well you know.
Imagine my surprise when my brothers at La Gritona asked for a ton of citrus for a big Westside event. Turns out those fancy folks like something sweet and simple. The history of
1. Pour the La Gritona in your cocktail shaker along with a few ice cubes.
2. Squeeze the lime juice in the shaker.
3. Drop some Spicy Honey in your shaker. Cuidado! This stuff brings the heat.
4. Add a few nuggets of smoked citrus to the shaker.
5. Shake it all up like your life depends on it!
6. Coat the rim of your glass with a little sea salt.
7. Add a big rock of ice to your tumbler.
7. Add two slice of smoked citrus atop the ice.
8. Strain slowly over that smoked sunshine.
9. Finish with a splash of Mexican Coca Cola.
10. Find some friends and some sunshine-you're about to have a great day!
I can't remember when I first made this drink but I do know it was in the summer and I was sick of Vodka. This drink has a nice balance to it and hits on some key flavors. It is familiar enough to connect with a Bourbon lover and approachable enough to engage rookies as well. Watch yourself, these bad boys can go down easy but no one wants a Jackass.